Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Waiting for the Lord


For every believer, it is no news that someday, Jesus will return to this earth as He promised. However, waiting for the Lord, for many believers, could be a daunting task. The truth is that we MUST necessarily have to wait for the Lord to fulfill His promise of coming to take us to our heavenly mansions:
Jesus said, "Don't be troubled. Trust in God, and trust in me. There are many rooms in my Father's house. I would not tell you this if it were not true. I am going there to prepare a place for you. After I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back. Then I will take you with me, so that you can be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." (ERV, John 14:1-5).
The sad thing is that many believers who care to wait do so passively. Some even wish the Lord would come and take them to heaven immediately so that they would not have to face the problems of this life.

We're to wait for the Lord actively. Jesus asks us to occupy (take charge, rule, do business with our gifts and talents and take hold of the world) till He comes (Lk19:13). So it is wrong for believers to sit back and fold their arms waiting for Rapture. This is a wrong way of waiting! We must equip ourselves with the Word and go out to preach the Gospel of Salvation to as many as we can. This is exactly what the Lord wants us to do while we wait.

The early Christians ruled their worlds with the anointing of active waiting. The four legs of their table of ministry were prayer and fasting, breaking of bread, teaching and preaching of the Word. The Lord wants us in this 21st Century to do the same things while we wait for Him.

If you are reading this sermon and you don't believe that Jesus came to die for you and as a result, you have not surrendered your life to Him. I assure you that you are not waiting for the return of the Lord but rather, you are waiting for the wrath of God. Therefore, I encourage you to accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour now before it is too late.

Prophetic Word: "God recruits His leaders from servanthood."

*This message was preached by Pastor Toni Ogobegwu on January 8, 2006.