Thursday, November 15, 2018

What it Means to Rebuke

But Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be quiet, and come out of him!” Mark 1:25

When Jesus saw that the people came running together, He rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, “Deaf and dumb spirit, I command you, come out of him and enter him no more!” Mark 9:25

Often, when we confront a demon spirit, we say, I rebuke you. But saying this does not translate into a rebuke. Jesus never did this, when He confronted demons, the Bible will say that "Jesus rebuked the spirit, saying..." What He said to the devil was the rebuke. For example, at one occasion, He said, "Be quiet." When He rebuked the storm, He didn't just say, "I rebuke you" He rebuked the storm, saying, "Be still." It was always a charge demanding a specific response from the object of the rebuke. 

To only say, I rebuke you, as many of us do, is meaningless. No wonder we don't often get the expected result. When we rebuke the situation, it must be something that we specifically demand of the object of the rebuke. If I rebuke the spirit of infirmity, it is to issue a specific order that I expect to be obeyed by the spirit being addressed. 

Toni